Phil Hughes narrates the story of the role the Hospital played treating wounded troops during the First World War. The Hospital, which was built in 1903 as a Poor Law institution, treated some 6,000 injured World War 1 soldiers during the four years of the conflict.
After a visit by King George V and Queen Mary in 1917 the name was changed from West Ham Union Infirmary to Whipps Cross and it became a general hospital.
And click HERE to listen to the audio by Phil Hughes
Click HERE to see the short Youtube clip mentioned in the audio (this was not the Whipps Cross event).