The West Ham Infirmary was built in 1902 and much of that original building makes up the present site. But in November 1917, after a visit by King George V and Queen Mary, the infirmary was renamed Whipps Cross War Hospital. The ‘War‘ was soon dropped after the end of the First World War during which it was used to treat the wounded.
November 2017 marked the centenary of the naming of Whipps Cross Hospital.
Alan Gurney, Managing Director of the hospital, spoke to us about the past, present and future of the hospital as it looks towards a major redevelopment.